The Redmi 12 5G is Xiaomi’s latest budget smartphone featuring 5G connectivity. For under $250, you get capable hardware and software in a stylish design. The Redmi 12 5G is one of the most affordable 5G phones available, giving you access to next-gen networks without paying a premium. 5G speeds mean faster streaming, browsing, and downloading – perfect if you’re always on the go.
While not the most powerful phone, the Redmi 12 5G handles everyday tasks easily with its Snapdragon 690 chipset and 6GB of RAM. You’ll breeze through messaging, emailing, web surfing, and casual gaming. The large 6.5-inch LCD display is ideal for media consumption, with slim bezels and a small notch housing the selfie camera.
Rounding out the specs is a sizable 5,000mAh battery that provides up to two days of use per charge, even with 5G enabled. When it’s time to recharge, the included fast charger refills 50% of the battery in just 30 minutes.
You can buy the Redmi 12 from Amazon using the link below:
Design and Display of the Redmi 12 5G
The Redmi 12 5G has a simple yet stylish design with a large 6.5-inch IPS LCD display dominating the front.
1. A sizable screen with good brightness
The sizeable display offers a 20:9 aspect ratio with a small teardrop notch at the top housing the selfie camera. With a resolution of 1080 x 2400 pixels, images and videos look sharp and vibrant. The screen gets bright enough for comfortable outdoor viewing on sunny days.
- For a budget phone, the Redmi 12 5G’s display is quite good and suitable for streaming content, playing games, or browsing the web.
2. Plastic but durable
The Redmi 12 5G has a plastic body and frame to keep costs down. However, it feels well-built and can handle minor drops without issues. The phone comes in three colors: Misty Silver, Aqua Green, and Midnight Black.
- The rear-mounted fingerprint scanner is fast and accurately unlocks the phone. Face unlock is also available as an alternative.
3. Generous storage and memory
Xiaomi provides 64GB and 128GB storage options, both of which can be expanded up to 512GB using a microSD card. 4GB and 6GB RAM variants are on offer, providing enough memory for multitasking between apps.
- The dedicated microSD card slot allows you to expand storage without sacrificing the dual nano SIM card slots.
With 5G connectivity, a large display, generous storage, capable hardware and durable build for the price, the Redmi 12 5G is an affordable introduction to next-gen connectivity that should satisfy most budget phone buyers.
Cameras and Photography
The Redmi 12 5G comes with a triple rear camera setup consisting of:
- A 48MP main sensor: This is the primary camera that will be used in most lighting conditions. It can capture decent details but images tend to look oversharpened at times.
- An 8MP ultra-wide angle lens: This lets you fit more of the scene in the frame, which is useful for landscapes, architecture, and group photos. There is some distortion around the edges of photos and a drop in quality compared to the main camera.
- A 2MP macro lens: This allows you to take close-up shots as near as 2cm from the subject. It produces passable results but the low megapixel count results in images lacking fine details.
For selfies and video calls, there is an 8MP front-facing camera. Selfies turn out pretty well with natural skin tones and a good amount of facial detail, though the fixed-focus lens struggles in low light.
The Redmi 12 5G can record 4K video at 30fps, 1080p at up to 60fps, and 720p slow-motion video at up to 120fps. Footage is fairly stable thanks to electronic image stabilization but 4K video quality isn’t the best, with mushy details and artifacts. For casual use, the 1080p mode produces perfectly shareable results.
Some additional pointers for using the cameras:
- Tap to focus and adjust the exposure. You can also lock the focus and exposure by tapping and holding.
- Use the timer or motion trigger to take blur-free shots and group selfies.
- Turn on AI scene detection to automatically adjust settings for different subjects like food, plants, or landscape photos.
- Try different color filters like B&W, sepia, or cyborg to add an artistic touch.
- Use the pro mode to manually adjust parameters like ISO, shutter speed, white balance, etc. This takes some practice but can lead to more creative results.
- Keep the lenses clean for the best image quality. Gently wipe them with a microfiber cloth to remove fingerprints and smudges.
For a budget 5G phone, the Redmi 12 5G offers capable cameras that should satisfy casual users and social media sharing needs, as long as you go in with realistic expectations. With some patience and practice, it is possible to get good results in the right conditions. But for more serious photography, you would still want to look at higher-priced options.
Performance and Battery Life
The Redmi 12 5G is powered by a MediaTek Dimensity 700 5G chipset, offering decent performance for most everyday tasks like browsing social media, streaming video, and casual gaming.
1. Everyday Performance
For basic needs like checking email, browsing the web or streaming music, the Redmi 12 5G handles it all smoothly. Apps open quickly and multitasking between several apps is seamless. The 5G connectivity means you’ll experience fast download and upload speeds for all your needs. Whether you’re scrolling through social feeds, shopping online or catching up on your favorite shows, this phone keeps up nicely.
2. Gaming Performance
While not a gaming powerhouse, the Redmi 12 5G can handle some casual games. Less graphics-intensive titles like Candy Crush Saga, Temple Run, and Subway Surfers run well with no lag or stuttering. However, more complex 3D games may experience dropped frame rates, longer loading times, and some stuttering on high settings. For the average mobile gamer on a budget, the gaming performance should be satisfied. But serious gamers may want to consider a phone with a more powerful chipset.
3. Battery Life
The large 5000mAh battery provides impressive battery life, easily lasting a full day of average use with juice left to spare. Even with heavy use like gaming, streaming video, or using the camera, you can still expect it to last the majority of the day on a single charge. The 18W fast charging means you can quickly top it up when needed—around 50% in 30 minutes. For the price, the Redmi 12 5G offers fantastic battery life that should satisfy most users.
READ ALSO- The Philips N1500 VCR Review
Overall, the performance and battery life of the Redmi 12 5G are quite good for the budget-friendly price point. While not the most powerful phone, it handles common tasks, offers 5G connectivity, and provides long-lasting battery life for an enjoyable user experience. For basic smartphone needs, the Redmi 12 5G delivers solid performance and value.